Go to top page
About Us Education Research Admission nfo Contact Us Japanese

Admission Information

Information for students from overseas

Admission policy for foreign students

Students from any country in the world are welcome to apply to the Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences. We can promise you a very interesting experience. You will be deeply impressed with the natural beauty of Yamagata; its volcanoes(Mt. Zao and Gassan), hot springs, rivers, etc. Being at Yamagata University will also provide you with a good opportunity to study in a unique, cultural and academic environment, very different from those of your own countries. We trust that this will provide you with an exciting challenge.

Requirements for applicants for foreign students are given on the University home page


You may have the possibility of receiving a scholarship from the Japanese Government. The amount is 185,500 yen per month. This possibility is very small, due to the number of applicants applying to all of Japan's National Universities, but you should at least try to get one.

The website, "Study in Japan", provides useful information for prospective students.

Tuition fees and other fees

Undergraduate and Graduate Students pay the following amount of fees. Below is an example from a year (in 2007);

Examination Fee: 17,000 yen
Entrance Fee: 282,000 yen
Tuition Fee: 535,800 yen per year

Estimated living expenses (per month)

Food expenses: 30,000 to 40,000 yen
Housing expenses: 30,000 to 50,000 yen
Books: about 10,000 yen per year
Other expenses: about 20,000 yen
Total: about 90,000 to 120,000 yen

The Yamagata International House has dormitories for single students from overseas (with shared toilet and kitchen facilities) and can accommodate 27 students, while 3 apartments for married couples are also available. However, it should be noted that it is not possible for the university to provide accommodation for all the overseas students. Many overseas students have to live in private apartments outside of the Yamagata international House.


Copyright(C) Department of Earth and Environmental Sciences